As beautiful as poinsettas are, some cats find them irristable. Though they are not extremely "poisonous", as most people think, they can cause drooling and sometimes mild vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe and holly are actually more toxic. If eaten in large amounts, severe vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, heart problems, strange behavior and loss of appetite can result. My own cats love to chew on any plant they can, so I keep all plants in a room they are not allowed in or store them out of reach. If you know your pet has ingested any of these plants and is showing symptoms medical help will be needed.
Tinsel on your tree and ribbons and strings used for wrapping can be an attractive toy for some adult cats and dogs, but to puppies and kittens they are too hard to resist! A pet that is lethargic and/or vomiting may have ingested something or a string or ribbon could be wrapped around its tongue. This becomes an emergency situation theat may require surgey to remove it from the stomach or intestines.
If Santa brings a stocking for your pet, make sure it stays out of reach. Some pets will eat the entire stocking when trying to get to the goodies inside, resulting in vomiting, diarrhea and possible surgery to remove these items.
Christmas is a wonderful time of the year and should be enjoyed by everyone, even your pets. Simple precautions can make the holidays a fun time for everyone!